The White Hart, 21 Sadler Street, can be traced in the archives of the Dean & Chapter of Wells Cathedral back to a building they acquired in 1338-1339.
It is first described as an inn, The Hart's Head, in 1497-8. The name was changed to The White Hart in about 1700. From the early 1300s until it was sold off by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in the 19th century, the hotel was one of numerous properties owned in the city by the Dean & Chapter; an inn so close to the market place would be a particularly profitable source of income.
It has no association with the Bishop, and was never (as has sometimes been claimed) his official 'guest house', although visitors to the Bishop might of course have lodged there just as any other ordinary customers.
© Copyright 2001 - White Hart Wells